Saturday, January 9, 2010

Chloe - Grad Portraits

Whenever I tell people about grad portraits, they think of stiff and stuffy cap-and-gown photos. "Tilt your chin a little this way." "Hold up the flowers like so." "Take this scrolly thing and put it in front of the flowers." With all these instructions, the photos would definitely turn out amazing... or so you hope.

I remember getting my high school grad proofs and the horror that followed. I remember reasoning, "this one's not so bad" - basically choosing the least worst of the bunch and ordering a set because... well, because graduating from high school is a big deal. On the one hand, I wanted to remember it - but, on the other hand, I didn't want to remember myself looking so terrible.

The grad portraits at Lesley Wong Photography are definitely not the awkward, boring, and old-fashioned grad photos you get at school. These photos are modern, unconventional, and fun. More importantly, these photos are meant to showcase your unique personality in a way that will make you and your parents beam with pride. Because, let's face it, cookie-cutter cap-and-gown grad photos don't show who you really are.

Grad portraits are called "senior portraits" or "modern senior portraits" in the U.S. and they are already super popular down there - just google it and you will see how many high school grads have them done. I hope these modern grad photos take Toronto by storm because they are a great reminder of what it was like to be young and carefree (and also a lot of fun to shoot).

I have been looking forward to shooting my first set of grad portraits for months now. Chloe is my younger sister and she is graduating from high school this year. I was so happy to photograph her at this pivotal moment in her life. It was a bit of an emotional shoot for me because I felt proud, excited, and protective at the same time.



How beautiful does she look in these photos!




I love this one of Chloe trying not to laugh.



What is Chloe thinking about here? Going to university? The next 5 years of her life? Or, if she's anything like me, she's thinking about what to have for dinner! Seriously though, I love how thoughtful she looks in these next photos. When I imagine grad photos, I envision a young adult, lost in thought and contemplating the future.




These next two photos are a couple of my favourites. Vince normally creates the framed photos but, because he wasn't available for the shoot, I gave it a try. I love how they turned out!




We played a little with lighting. I love love love the effect of backlighting - it's so dramatic and glamorous. It's addictive lighting at its best.



Then Chloe changed into her 3rd outfit - a super cute dress!




Chloe, I'm sure I've told you this before but you have become such a beautiful, intelligent, and loving young lady. I can't wait to see all that lies ahead for you!



(Make-up by Sonia Sahi.)

  © 2012 | Lesley Wong Photography | All rights reserved.

Back to TOP