Sunday, August 29, 2010

Permission to be Me

It was a cold November night. Vince and I were huddled together on the living room floor, our backs leaning against the couch, as we surfed the Internet separately on our laptops while simultaneously watching some random show on television. There was nothing special about this night - it was a very ordinary evening - until Vince turned to me and said, "hey, check out this website."

It was exactly 16 days into the start of my business and I was hungry for information about photography. Anything about photography was interesting to me but mostly I was looking for stories that I could identify with. For the next hour or so, I immersed myself into exploring this little piece of gold that Vince had given me. This was my first exposure to Jasmine Star.

I identified so much with her story that I actually e-mailed her with 7 questions as a scared newbie. I was terrified. After all, I've spend a good part of my life in the business world and starting over in an entirely new direction was not in my grand plan. I never heard back from Jasmine but soon realized that she gets inundated with e-mails... and the answers to most of my questions could be found on her blog anyway. So I just kept reading and reading her candid, honest, and revealing blog posts - learning so much about the business and also about her.

That's the thing about Jasmine, she puts so much of herself out there. Her latest endeavour was to work with CreativeLIVE to shoot a wedding to be broadcast over the Internet... live. Along with watching her work her magic, the world got to learn all about her take on branding and marketing in an incredible 5 day workshop. Her main piece of advice: Be Yourself.

With this in mind, I am making a conscious decision to share more about myself, not only on my blog but also on my website. Here is a little preview:






Jasmine, if you ever happen upon this blog post, I want you to know that I think you are one of the bravest and most inspiring people out there. Thank you, thank you, thank you a million times over for your commitment to giving back and the time you take in helping to educate your fellow photographers. Please don't be afraid if a little Chinese girl runs up to you to give you a hug at WPPI 2011... MUUUUUUAH!!!

If you missed the live broadcast, you can purchase the full 5 day workshop HERE. I promise, it is well worth the $149 investment.

  © 2012 | Lesley Wong Photography | All rights reserved.

Back to TOP